While he wanted to remain a Magpie, the Gold Coast Suns showed interest in him late in the season. He could still keep his AFL dream alive as a delisted free agent.
“‘Madge’ has faced injury problems this year and his positive attitude and resilience are to be commended,” said Magpies football boss Graham Wright.
“Caleb has shown potential at AFL level over the past two seasons. He is still in the formative years of his career and has worked hard to develop his craft in the VFL.”
Murley, a midfielder-forward taken at pick 49 in last year’s national draft, was told by Collingwood he would return via the rookie draft.
Despite jumping from 17th last season to top the grand final this year, the Magpies have not been shy about making changes. They offloaded Liam McMahon, Isaac Chugg and Callum and Tyler Brown last month and were busy during the transfer window, signing Brownlow medalist Tom Mitchell from Hawthorn, Brisbane forward Dan McStay, Giants forward Bobby Hill and Adelaide defender Billy Frampton.
However, they lost young forward Ollie Henry, who was traded to Geelong, his club, in a three-way deal that saw Mitchell move to the Pies, while doubles winner Brodie Grundy was traded to Melbourne.
Bombers, Saints make changes
Essendon’s roster continues to be overhauled under new coach Brad Scott, with 10 players now leaving the Bombers since the end of a torrid season.
The Bombers made three more axes on Tuesday, confirming that Brayden Ham, Cody Brand and Alec Waterman will not return for 2023.
Ham, 23, has made 45 appearances for the club, having been drafted with pick No. 72 in the 2018 national draft. The attacking midfielder has made 11 appearances this year.
Waterman, a former West Coast Eagle, while not playing a senior game there, kicked 27 goals in 22 games for the Bombers over two years when he fell in the 2021 pre-season supplementary selection period. Brand did not make the senior game.
“We thank Cody, Brayden and Alec for their contributions to the club throughout their careers,” Essendon general manager of list and recruitment Adrian Dodoro said.
The Bombers have already cut Tom Cutler, Tom Hird and Garrett McDonagh. Devon Smith and Michael Hurley have left, but Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, who retired mid-season, could return. He has also been linked with Fremantle. Defender Aaron Francis was traded to Sydney.
Meanwhile, St Kilda removed Jarrod Lienert. The 28-year-old joined the Saints during the supplementary selection period this year, managing 23 games for Port Adelaide over four seasons. He played 11 games for the Saints.
Tuck lawyers seek AFL funding in coronial hearing
Lawyers representing the widow of former Richmond footballer Shane Tuck have called on the AFL to fund her case at the Coroners Court of Victoria as she seeks an explanation for her husband’s death.
Greg Griffin, Tuck’s attorney, said the ongoing case before state Coroner John Cain cost “hundreds of thousands of dollars” and that was before a potential public inquest, which is planned for next year, began.
Griffin questioned why the AFL was likely to cover the legal costs of the five families involved in allegations of racism against Hawthorn but would not help Tuck in a case that could have major implications for the league.
A statement was submitted to the AFL that for the five families involved in the Hawks racism case to attend the hearing on the same terms as the accused, the league must cover all legal costs.
Tuck committed suicide in 2020 and was posthumously diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degeneration of the brain associated with repeated head trauma.
“I have submitted that the AFL should state its position, as it does for the Hawthorn inquiry into Aboriginal affairs, that it will pay Ms Tuck’s legal costs.” The response from the AFL’s senior counsel was absolutely that there was no prospect of the AFL funding Ms Tuck’s legal fees in any way,” Griffin said. Age.
“This is after the coroner has set aside dates for what could be a 14-day hearing at the Coroners Court – a 14-day hearing that doesn’t even deal with the issues of great concern to the widow, the being responsible for Shane Tuck’s death.
“Shane Tuck had stage four CTE when he died. Had he not gone and played for Richmond, he would no doubt be alive today.
“I think the AFL is very happy to announce its $4.5 billion broadcast deal, but it is totally and fundamentally opposed to … funding the costs of those who cannot afford to pay their own.
“That’s exactly how she’s prepared to throw whatever funds are needed at Hawthorne’s investigation, while Shane Tuck’s widow, because she doesn’t play by their rules, keeps her own costs.
“Do you think the AFL will build a Shane Tuck concussion center on Punt Rd at the end of it? It won’t be because Kath Tuck dared to know who was responsible for her husband’s death.
Tuck had 173 fights for the Tigers from 2004-13 and had a short boxing career after retiring. A coronial inquest is ongoing.
Griffin is also working on a class-action lawsuit against the AFL over concussion and head-related trauma and again scoffed at suggestions the affected players would settle if the AFL introduced a multimillion-dollar compensation fund. Prominent lawyer Peter Gordon was commissioned by the AFL to investigate how the fund would work.
If you or someone you know needs support, please call Life-line on number 131 114.
Stay up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.
#Magpies #delist #trio #Tuck #family #lawyers #call #AFL #funding #Bombers #making